A practical guide to a Deliverance Ministration
The term “spiritual warfare,” as used by most conservative evangelical Christians, is simply a figurative way of describing what takes place every day as they attempt to live their lives in a manner pleasing to God. Spiritual warfare is a conflict involving a power encounter between the kingdom of God and the kingdom of satan.
In Spiritual warfare, you are shutting the door to satanic works of darkness by confronting those things that opened the door to satan, in the victim’s life. In spiritual warfare, you are to ask God to bring into subjection the things that He would have you to deal with. Real spiritual warfare occurs when you bind, rebuke, reject and cast out the forces that control you.
Spiritual warfare is not a hand-to-hand combat or strategic battle in the heavenlies against spirit entities, it is contending for the truth, vanquishing false teachings, and resisting the lies of the devil. The “wrestling” of Ephesians 6:12 refers to disputations over truth (v 14), and not bodily slamming the demons. Our weapon is the “Sword of the Spirit” (of Truth), which is the written! Word (Rhema) of God” (v 17). Jesus Himself used that sword against the devil: “It is written” (Mt. 4:4, 6, 7, 10). The very real adversaries in the spiritual battlefield are the world, the flesh, and the devil, while the “good fight” consists of resisting temptation, overcoming personal sins, and being an effective witness for Christ. The figurative language of this term expresses the nature of the literal, temporal struggle in which all believers find themselves.
The strongholds of the devil to be pulled down are not literal “territories ruled by demons,” but satanic lies, which hold captive the minds of the lost (2 Cor. 10:4-5), and can even deceive God’s “very elect” (Mt. 24:24). The Scripture tells us clearly and simply how we are to deal with such strongholds: “If ye continue in my Word, then are ye my disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free” (Jn. 8:31-32).
Ultimately, you must search the Scriptures and seek the Lord for guidance in this area. Remember that, the Lord deals with each person as an individual. No two persons are the same and the Lord works differently with each person. “Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners and purify your hearts, ye double minded” says the Scripture. (James 4:8).
It is necessary to understand that the devil usually come into our lives through our circumstances and stresses us out and then we become depressed. In the Spiritual warfare, one needs to inquire why the person wants to be delivered because sometimes the person may have the wrong motive. You can set a person free from demonic bondages, but they have to choose to stay free. This is because one cannot face the onslaughts of satan without spiritual discipline. Any area of a person’s life left unconquered becomes a stronghold and fortress of satan. It will be used by the enemy to launch attacks against the person, to defile, violate and plunder him/her, because the glory of God cannot remain in such an environment.
Whoever compromises and allows the enemy to establish strongholds in his/her life will soon find himself in the “winepress of satan”. Satan will squeeze and press the person until every last ounce of God’s glory is drained out of his/her life.
When a Christian goes into the devil’s territory; unless intending to do battle and rescue lost souls, the person become vulnerable to whatever satan offers, even to the extent of being invaded by an evil spirit. Be aware that you will never out grow warfare. So I want you to understand that you can take up that power and authority in the name of Jesus and kick the demons harassing your life out of yourself. It is a Spiritual warfare, that precedes freedom and only Jesus can give freedom to souls in satan’s captivity, because Jesus has mad captivity captive. (Ps. 68:18; Jn. 8:32; Ps. 44:1- 5).
The major hindrance to deliverance in spiritual warfare is sin, i.e., sin of obtaining information from demon, sin by allowing the person being delivered to become a medium or channels for the demon “to speak through”. This practice is condemned by God’s Word in Deut. 18:10-12.
Satanic/ Demonic likely entry points (doorways) into a person’s life
There are activities that invoke the placement of demons in a person’s life. Your involvement in any of the followings can be a door way to demonic/satanic incursions into your life.
- Idolatry: Removing God from your life and replacing Him with another being e.g. money, idols, womanizing, pleasure addiction, etc.
- Drug Addiction: Alcohol, cigarette smoking, drug taking, doping, etc., opens the door of your mind to the demons to come in to your life.
- Sexual Obscenities: Allowing your eyes to watch obscene films, pornography, homosexuality, lesbianism, etc., opens the door for demonic incursion.
- Mental Attitude: Hatred, jealousy, grudge, malice, unforgivenness, bitterness, etc. opens the door for satan through his demons to come into your life.
- Adultery: (Exodus 23:17, Ps. 7:6-23).
- Cult membership: (I Timothy 4:1) like being a member of Christian science, fraternities like Brother-hood, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Rosicrucian, Sororities, Lodges, false religions (John 10:7-8), Buddhism, Confucianism, Islam, Here Krishna, Hinduism, Shintoism, Taoism, Zoroastrianism, etc, are demonic door openers, etc.
- Lying: Living of on falsehood, (Acts 5:3)
- Meditation: Involvement in transcendental meditation, Yoga, Playing of Snookers Video Games, keeping of satanic objects in your house, etc (Deut. 7:25-26, Is. 13:21) can invoke placement of demons into your life.
- Occult practices: (Deut. 18:9-12) Use of black magic, charms, conjuration, fortune telling, handwriting analysis, horoscope, hypnotism, levitation, Ouija Board, Palmistry, Pendulum, Tarot cards, etc., can also warrant attacks from demons in your life.
- Pornography and evil imaginations: Decoration of your office or room walls with nude pictures, and other evil imaginations can be a door way to demonic incursions into your life.
- Keeping of familiar objects at home: These are objects to which demons cling, such as any object used in the worship of satan is a legal ground for demons into your life. (Deut. 7:26, I Cor. 10:19-20).
How Demons/Satan gain entry into lives
- Through occult backgrounds or violation of the first two commandments of God in the Bible (Deut. 6-11)
- Through Personal occult involvement (Deut. 18:10-12)
- Through Pre-natal influences e.g. pregnancy rejection, which occurs when the parents or the mother resents the pregnancy she is carrying (I Pet. 3:1), demon of rejection can enter into the fetus in her womb.
- Soulish domination e.g. mother dominating her child, as if the child’s umbilical cord had never been cut off from her womb. Dominating and manipulating are tools of witches and the devil.
- From pressures being encountered in the early childhood e.g. child neglect or abandonment.
- Moments or places of our weaknesses either emotional or physical weaknesses.
Any time a Christian commits sin a demon is placed against him/her. If the enemy cannot attack you directly, he will seek to bring you into sin thereby positioning you under the judgement of God.
In Spiritual warfare you should be aware that:
- Satan’s favorite entry points and will always be through those closest to you.
- You should identify the demonic door-ways, i.e the entry points of satan into your life.
- The only power or control which satan has over us is what we allow him to have. All power is given in heaven and earth to Jesus Christ.
- The only way we can tear down this authority of satan is through the power of prayer made to God in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- God has not made any provision for our defeat. We are to have total victory, we don’t look at the circumstances, but we stand on the promises of God. The gates of Hell will not prevail against the church of God.
- Satan is a created being and that Jesus Christ has all authority and power. Satan’s power was broken on the Cross.
- The only weapon satan has over you is your ignorance and he can only threatens (Col. 2:15).
- The only power satan has today is the power to deceive the people of the world and to blind them from seeing the glory of God (2 Cor. 4:3-4).
- Satan also moves on the opportunity of unconfessed sin. Unconfessed sin is the platform which satan use to build his power base in the lives of his victims.
Truths to Remember
- Christ possess greater power than the devil (Mk. 1:24).
- Christ has given His disciples power over the devils and his demons (Luke 10: 19, Mk. 16:17, Mt. 10:1,8 and Acts 1:8).
- Demons are afraid of the true disciples of Christ (Acts 16:16-17)
- Demons recognize God’s true servants but are not afraid of impostors. (Acts 19:15)
- Demons know that their time to work is short. (Rev. 12:12)
- Demons know that judgment awaits them (Rev. 20: 1-3)
- Demons know that the only pourer in the world able to beat them is the blood of Jesus (Rev. 12:11)
Hindrances to total deliverance in Spiritual warfare
These are things that can stop the move of God during a deliverance/ spiritual warfare ministration.
- The Doctrine of Man
- The tradition of Man
- Lying to the Minister of God during a counseling /ministration session
- Not co-operating with God’s Word
- Deceiving gimmicks
- Unforgiveness (Mat. 18:21-35)
- Involvement in occult practices, religious cults or false religion
- Abortion- you are to confess it as a sin of murder and not as a mistake.
- Unconfessed adultery must also be confessed to God.
Actions to be taken against the devil and his demons in Spiritual warfare
- Be sensitive to the Spirit to God (Mat. 16:17-19, 16:23).
- Be firm and consistent in claiming God’s promises (I Pet. 5:8-10, Heb. 6:12)
- Be bold and authoritative in confrontation (Eph. 3:9-13)
- Bind the principal demon troubling your life in Jesus name. To bind is to restrict the demon’s activity so that casting out is far less violent. Bind the spirit from manifesting and speaking, then bind the strong man and spoil his goods (Mark 3:23), bind their kings (Ps. 149:8-9), bind on earth (Mat. 16:17-19, 18:18-20).
- Command the spirit to go out of the victim in Jesus’ name (Acts 16:18). Exercise authority over the demon(s) and not knowledge or arguments. Cast out the demons (Mark 16:17, Mt. 10:18). Cast down imaginations (II Cor. 10:5)
- Actively and aggressively resist the devil. (James 4:7).
- Wrestle not as co-equal with the devil. (Eph. 6:12).
- Pull down the demonic strongholds (II Cor. 10:4)
- Stand firm and immovable against the devil (Eph. 6:11,13)
- Keep yourself. Don’t ignorantly forget what you should not do and don’t give an open door to satan again (I John 5:18).
- Give no place to the devil. Once you become spiritually alert, satan cannot enter your life again, so don’t give him any opportunity (Eph. 4:27).
- Use the Word “It is written” (Mat. 4:4, 7, 10). The wisdom of God should be preached to the devil and the demonic spirits always (Eph. 3:10-12). The blood of Jesus is a powerful tool, so, preach to the devil about the power of the Blood of Jesus (Rev. 12:11).
- Praise the Lord. Always put on the garment of praise (Is. 61:3). In your spiritual warfare because God inhabits the praises of his people (Ps. 22:3), Saul was delivered when David sang praises to God for him (I Sam. 16:14-23). When Jehoshaphat sang out praises, God sent ambushes against the people of Ammon, Moab and Mount Seir who had come against Judah and they were defeated (II Chronicles. 20:21-22). Paul and Silas were delivered when they employed the weapon of praise (Act. 16:25-26).
- Pray and fast (Mat. 17:21), the God’s chosen type of fasting (Isaiah. 58:6).
- Break the habit of speaking evil words in your mouth or harboring evil thoughts in your heart (Heb. 4:12).
- Return every evil word/thought to the sender (Ps. 64:7-8).
- Condemn and discourage judgmental words (Isaiah 54:17)
- Don’t ever quit in spiritual warfare. Remember it is not over until you have won (Ps. 44:1-8).
- Don’t ever let a curse have advantage in your life. (Prov. 26:2).
Steps to a personal deliverance ministration in spiritual warfare
- Define the door ways or temple defiling sins
- Repent and confess those sins by asking God for forgiveness and cleansing.
- Command the demons that came into your life through those sins to get out of your life forever.
- Stop sinning, and saturate your life with God’s Word.
Steps to general deliverance in spiritual warfare
- Be honest with yourself and with God Confess and repent of all known sins. (Ps. 51 Ps. 66:18, II Chr. 7:13-14)
- Be humble by throwing away of “self” and being dependent upon God and His provisions for deliverance (James 4:6,7).
- Repent by a determined turning away from all sins and satan. Loath sins (Amos 3:3; Ez. 20:42), and ensure that you receive forgiveness.
- Renunciation of sin is the forsaking of evil, an action resulting from repentance. (Mat. 3:7-8, Acts 19:18-19). Have a clean break with satan and all his works in your life. Destroy whatever idols or satanic emblem you may have with you (II Cor. 6:14-18).
- Seek for forgiveness, God freely forgives all who confess their sins and ask for forgiveness through His Son Jesus Christ (I Jn. 1:9; Mat. 6:14-15; Mark 11:25-26; Lk. 6:35-37).
- Your willingness to forgive others who offend you, is absolutely essential to your deliverance (Mat. 18:21-35).
- Pray (Joel 2:32). Ask God to deliver you and set you free in Jesus name.
- Put on the whole amour of God (Eph. 6:10; Lk. 10:19; Zach 2:8).
- Enter into Spiritual Warfare (Eph. 6:10-12; II Cor. 10:3-5) by using the weapons of submission to God, the Blood of Jesus Christ, the Word of God, and your personal testimonies as a believer to fight the devil and his demons (James 4:7; Rev. 12:11; Eph. 6:11). Troubling your life identify the demon spirit troubling your life, instruct them to go away from you, Enter the spiritual battle with determination and assurance of victory. Christ cannot fail. He is your deliverer, (Ps 44:4; Mark 16:17a; Lk. 10:19; Ps. 18:2a).
- Bind the demons or the evil spirit (Mark 3;27; Acts 16:18; Mat. 16:17-19) Cast down imaginations (II Cor. 10:5), and pull down strongholds (II Cor. 10:4). Aggressively resist the devil demons. Don’t wrestle as equal opponents (Eph. 6:12). Preach about the power in the blood of Jesus to the devil. (Rev. 12:11,1).
- Put on the garment of praise (Is. 61:3; Ps. 22:3; I Sam. 16:14-23).
- Abide under the covering of the blood of Jesus. Always cover yourself with the blood of Jesus.
The weapons or spiritual instruments of our warfare
- Warfare prayers (Acts 12:1-10)
- Listening to the Word of God
- Praying in tongues
- Using the Word of God i.e. Scriptural authority
- Confession of personal sins and repentance (Ps. 66:18, II Chr. 7:13-14)
- Through praises like Paul and Silas (Acts 16:25-26, I Sam. 16:14-23, II Chr. 20:21-22).
- Commanding by using your spiritual authority
- By breaking of hibernating curses (Isaiah 10:27, Prov. 26:2)
- By breaking or dissociating yourself from all evil covenants
- By drinking the blood of Jesus in faith
- By participating in aggressive united prayers (Acts 4:23-24)
- By anointing with oil (James 5:14-15).
- By Baptism in water
- By destruction of covenant material (Acts 19:19).
- By Baptism of the Holy Spirit
- By purposeful fasting (Isaiah 58:6, Joe 1:14)
- By cleansing of home
- By laying of hands
- By prayer of agreement (Mat. 18:19).
- By pleading the blood of Jesus. (Zech 9:11-12)
- By asking for the assistance of God’s angels (Ps. 34:7, Ps. 91:12-13)
- By confessing the sins of our ancestors (Dan. 9:1)
- By calling the fire of God upon the enemy
- By breathing in, the power of the Holy Spirit
- By prayer of binding and loosing (Mat. 18:18, 16:19)
- By constant confession of your stand or position in the Lord Jesus Christ. (I Jn. 2:1; I Jn. 1:8-9)
- By worship and singing of anointed praise songs. (Col 3:16; Mt. 26:30; Eph. 5:19)
- By using of Spiritual gifts e,g spirit of discernment, Word of knowledge, revelation knowledge, open vision etc.
- By Testimony (Rev. 12:11, Ps. 119:24,11,144; Mk. 5:19-33)
- By absolute faith in the Lord
- By personal prophecy to the situation
- By living a holy life.